Monday, February 13, 2012

Spring is just around the corner

Even though we still have a foot of snow on the ground and it is much colder this month than last, it is time to daydream about spring. Browsing through seed catalogs, I've already ordered the asparagus roots, seeds need to be ordered soon. April and Laura are excited about gardening, so I'll go for a bigger one this year, since there will be help!

It's also time to think about baby chicks. Think we'll just go for laying hens this year. I will buy a few extra day old chicks, so if anyone is thinking about urban backyard chickens, let me know. I'll raise them for a few weeks, to give them a good start for you. I'd like more Welsummers, but they don't seem to be available this year. So the other breeds I'm considering are: Americanas (they lay the blue/green eggs), Columbian Wyandotts and Rhode Island Reds. All are heavier breeds that lay brown or colored eggs. The heavier breeds do better in our cold climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment